January 7, 2008

and a happy new year

Well another Christmas season has come and gone. I am so excited to be part of our church. This year, we really set a goal for Christmas of providing maximum invitation and ridiculous hospitality. We supplied the congregation with a special Christmas card every week of advent and our children made 4000 ornaments that were distributed by members of the church to their friends and neighbors. When it was all said and done, we had almost 3000 more people worshiping with us Christmas week in 2007 than we did in 2006! We were right at 8500 people in worship for the week! Praise God for the great people of University and their spirit of invitation and hospitality.

This new year is certain to be an exciting one. For the last 3 ½ years, this church has been working on a building project. It began as a moderate addition – a double gym for recreation and a center for youth ministry. God grew that vision and raised up people willing to make great financial sacrifices and soon we will open our north campus. This expansion will add almost 33% more space to our existing campus!

Personally, I have some excitement this year too, as I prepare for possible ordination in June. Today I am headed out to Kerrville for my final Covenant Connection retreat. I have been attending these every other month for the last three years. At this final meeting, the elders will vote on whether or not to recommend me to the Board of Ordained Ministry as a candidate for full membership in the Order of Elders.

I have a friend, Harriet, who is visiting with our church from Rwanda. She asked me what my prayer is for the new year. Even with all the changes and excitement this year brings, my prayer remains the same as it has been since I first arrived at University. I am praying that God will bring a ten-fold increase to the work of ministry at the church. I don’t really know what all I mean by that, except to look for the number of baptisms and professions of faith to increase. My heart yearns for God’s spirit to find willing and obedient people at University – ready for the movement of His Holy Spirit as He brings renewal and new life!

Every year has been the best year of my life – so far. Some years are easier than others, some are filled with trial. Still, God remains ever faithful and because he does, I love my life and lot more as each year passes. I am confident in God’s faithfulness and so I am confident that 2008 will be a great year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will pray for you in your ordination process. I love getting the church's newsletter and seeing all the great things going on. Tell Charles hi for me.