May 14, 2007

rest

I just can’t seem to get enough rest these days. I am tired quite a bit and it is really frustrating. I don’t know if I picked up a bug or am having some serious allergy problems, but I am just exhausted all the time. I am reminded of a line from some movie whose title I can’t recall (I am sure it is totally inappropriate and you will recognize it and think, “I can’t believe he watched that movie.”) that said, “I thought I was depressed, but it turned out I had mono.”

What do you do when you get to that place of exhaustion? When I can get away with it, I like to just lay down on my couch with a blanket and pillow and watch movie after movie. Actually, I have discovered the joy of watching TV series on DVD. You can have hours of uninterrupted storyline that way. I call it “cocooning.” I withdraw from the world for a day or two – refuse to answer the phone or even get the door. I like to say that it is in this state that I can just put my brain in neutral. One thing that is very important – it doesn’t work if you have to do ANYTHING else that day. A true “cocoon day” must be from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep.

As it is unlikely that I am going to get any time in my cocoon before mid-to-late June, I guess I am going to have to figure something else out. In the meantime, I will try to snatch a little renewal where it presents itself!

No comments: