February 27, 2008

a great light has gone out

One of my parishioners died this last weekend. I was driving up to our clergy retreat when I got the call. Sweet Bea Hernandez had passed away over the weekend.

Bea was an incredible woman and my friend. She lived her life with joy and great passion. She was quick with a smile and always ready to laugh. Whenever we were in worship she was often the only one who laughed at my bad jokes – and it wasn’t a pity laugh either! When Mark would tell the congregation to dance, Bea would start her wheelchair spinning in circles and just laugh and sing.

Bea worked with the youth, with our special needs kids, in our worship ministry. She went to UP and traditional worship too. Bea didn’t have much in the way of money, but she was kind and generous. She gave to the church budget and contributed to helping build the new building. Oh, she was so excited about the building opening. She asked that any memorials be directed to our Imagine Building Campaign. I wish I could have seen her rolling across that bridge.

My friend Vicki and I were consoling one another and she said, “A great light has gone out.” That is how I feel too. Bea carried the light of the Holy Spirit inside of her an generated a luminosity all her own. I sure will miss her.

Services will be at University at 2 pm on Thursday.

3 comments:

RED said...

Hi Ryan. Met you at last year's MidWinter. I was with the Grace group from CC. I checked out your link to Confessing Methodist( I probably am not saying thta right)... I'm not sure I understand. I tried to leave a comment/ask a question but couldn't. Anyway... loved hearing you @ MidWinter and I am enjoying your blog. Sincerely, RED
PS.. my also says you rock!

RED said...

OK... I'm embarrassed... never leave a post w/out proofreading! I meant your link to "The confessing Movement", and my SON says you rock! :)

Ryan Barnett said...

Sorry you couldn't leave a message on the Confessing Movement site. Not sure what the problem there might be. I am not a leader or anything of the group - just a member! Your son is SO right!