September 16, 2009

Antes de

Ray & Lydia Zirkel are graduates of Asbury Seminary. Their family has a deep and rich history in the Southwest Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church. They are one of many missionaries supported in part by the people of University. Fifteen years ago, they made their home in Costa Rica. From the very beginning they dreamed of making the Methodist School a place not only of the highest academic standards, but a place of spiritual transformation. Because of the quality of education received by the students, they go on to become the leaders of their nation – doctors, lawyers, civic leaders, etc.

About three years ago, Ray invited me to come down and speak at the Methodist School – to lead a “Spiritual Emphasis Week.” At the time, I was just beginning my work in Rwanda and was not able to take on additional international travel. Twice more Ray would ask me to come down, but it wasn’t until at this year’s Global Impact Celebration that things came together. Ray suggested that I come down this Fall and bring Mark and our worship team. The Spirit really stirred within me and I knew the time was right.

Mark and I ended up taking a quick scouting trip down in May – Ray thought it was really important for us to see the school and put our feet on the soil before bringing the whole team down. He was absolutely right. That 36 hour visit was pivotal for planning purposes.

As the summer wore on, everyone’s excitement grew – along with my own anxiety. I rarely get nervous anymore about speaking, but there is still something about international preaching that gives me butterflies. I was also acutely aware of how big the stakes were in what we were doing. Ray & Lydia had been praying for a decade and half for revival at the school. In truth, I really look up to this couple who have sacrificed so deeply for the sake of Christ’s mission. I didn’t want to let them down.

Mark and I sent the team down one day ahead of us. We wanted to give them a little extra time to adjust before leading worship on Monday. Sunday morning was hard for Mark and I as we mentally began to make the leap to the mission field while leading worship at home base! In my sermon, I mentioned that I was quite nervous, but going none the less. On their way out, a number of folks wished me well and told me not to worry – things would be great.

The last conversation I had was with a good friend who pulled me aside before I left. He said, “I just want to tell you something before you go – I know you said you are nervous.” I waited for him to say, “Don’t worry, it will be great.” He said, “As you were talking about the trip and being nervous, I really felt the Spirit of the Lord saying – ‘Eternity hangs in the balance.’”

Well. Oh. Alright then.

Those were true and right words. I carried them with me down South – even sharing them with the team. I held them as we waged spiritual war throughout the week. His words were true, eternity was in the balance.

No comments: