September 27, 2009

Miercoles

Wednesday had the earliest wake up calls for the week. The early breakfast time was exacerbated by my sleeplessness during the night. When I finally lay down the night before, I was troubled by cramps in my legs and an overall restlessness. I was painfully aware of how important Wednesday would be and was frustrated by my inability to rest. I knew from the start it was a feeble attempt to weaken me. Though my body did pay the price for the attack from Satan, my heart was in line with the Master and his strength was made perfect in my weakness.

We arrived at the school for an 8:00 a.m. start with the Jr. High kids. That morning I preached about: “How to join the Revolution.” I shared with them my experience in a Rwandan orphanage and the child who simply wanted to leave that place. I recounted him saying, “Go, Papa, Go.” I shared with the kids Paul’s assertion that by the Spirit of Christ within us we are the adopted children of the Most High God – and by that same Spirit we cry “Papa, Father.” In what I believe is the finest sermon I have ever been privileged to deliver, I shared the fundamental truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I concluded by inviting the kids to come forward if they want to accept Christ as their Savior and commit to following him as their Lord.

Before the service began, I had asked the team to prepare themselves to pray with the kids. I instructed them to simply come forward and spread out along the floor down front. After my invitation, the team came down and Mark began to sing. He (Mark) would later recount for us, “I was just praying that even one kid would come down. You know how people always say, even if it was just for that one.”

There was quite a pause after the sermon ended and the music began. I looked up to the kids sitting in the bleachers only once or twice. There was more than one child weeping already, but no one moved. Exhausted and poured out, I sat down on the floor. I knew they would come – I had seen their sweet faces while I shared Christ with them. I knew they were living in a spiritual orphanage and were desperate to cry Abba, Father.

Two girls finally rose together and made their way to Alison. They were the first to receive salvation that day, but not the last. They came as individuals and they came in groups. They surrounded every person standing down front waiting for them. Life began that morning for hundreds of young people as their hurt and sin poured out and grace proved triumphant. A group of ten kids would come and surround one of us and we would ask “how can we pray for you?” and a confused look would spread across their faces. Then we would ask, “who wants to receive salvation and make Jesus their Lord?” and ten hands would go up into the air. We would ask their name and one by one lead them in prayer. They confessed their sins and claimed the love of Christ as their very own.

It was the same with the older kids later that morning. I read Acts sometimes and wonder at the power of God’s Spirit to add thousands to his flock when Peter preaches the Gospel. In San Jose, I got a glimpse into what is otherwise words on a page as hundreds entered eternal life that morning.

As if that wasn’t enough for one day, we went back to the seminary where we led worship for the pastors during their chapel time. I spoke there about the enduring nature of God’s promise. Bishop Palomo rose after I spoke to bless the Communion meal. I had the benefit of Ray Zirkel translating the Bishop’s words. Once again, I found myself awed by the depth of this man’s understanding of the things of God. At one point, he prayed that God would bless our taking of the holy meal, “not because of our merits” and he paused, then said, “mostly because we don’t have any.” So simple, yet such an important truth.

Since I was the preacher, I was sitting in the front row and therefore one of the first to receive communion. I wasn’t sure of their practice, but given the events of the morning, I went to the front of the room and simply knelt on the floor. I intended to just stay in my crumpled position, but I hadn’t been their long when the Lord called me to my feet to pray for the other pastors positioned around me. I rose and prayed as instructed. Somehow, the Spirit moved through me as I prayed clearly and specifically for each pastor. For one I prayed direction in their new endeavor. For another I prayed for healing in his family. Again and again I prayed for the pastors kneeling and standing around me. I came to a young pastor standing with his arms raised. I put one hand over his heart and began to pray as the Lord led. After a few moments the Bishop was standing behind the man and motioned for me to bless him with a touch to his forehead.

In that moment, I breathed a prayer of peace over him and laid my hand on his head. He fell back into the Bishop’s waiting arms. The Bishop gently laid him on the ground and gave me a long look. Finally, he slowly nodded his head without breaking that penetrating stare. Not knowing what else to do, I sat down next to the pastor sprawled out on the floor. I covered his heart with my hand and rested. Sometime later he would slowly stir and rise up – the picture of a man who has laid in green pastures (Psalm 23) – and give me a warm smile and gentle hug.

While I was there on the floor, the Bishop called for those who needed to give testimony. Many shared, but one pastor in particular stood out for me. He said that he had recently planted two churches each of which was far from his home church. Through his tears, he said that he had been weary, but this week with the other pastors had strengthened him. Planted two churches each far from his home church. Oh, God, who am I and what am I doing?

That night we had a meaningful team meeting followed by a precious time of worship and prayer. As a group, we lifted up the names of the kids we had prayed with that day. Hearing each name was like a drop of rain in the desert.

We finished the night with a mean game of charades. It really was a riot, though Alison took the cake as both the best at the game and the most competitive. FYI: If you ever play with her, you definitely want her on your team!!!

No comments: