October 4, 2007

catholic mass

Last Saturday night, I decided to check out the Catholic mass at St. Joseph’s in Salida. It was a great experience and I learned a few things as well. The priest was German, I think – though I could be wrong about the accent. He did a nice job on a very brief homily about the rich man and Lazarus.

There were a couple of things about the service I really liked. I liked how the people bowed to the Lord’s table before they went up on the chancel to read or speak. I liked how the women kind of curtseyed when they left the pew and headed out. I really enjoyed when the congregation knelt down together. We protestants are missing out. I know God has called us friend, but you still kneel before your friend when he is the king.

The thing I learned is how uncomfortable it feels to be a visitor who doesn’t really know what is going on. The songs were unfamiliar. I know the creeds and Lord’s Prayer, but not the ones they knew! They used 3 different resources to guide the service and I rarely knew which book to look in – much less which page once I figured out which book! They all knew when and how to respond to key liturgical exchanges. I did not. They sat, stood, and knelt in unison. They knew when to hold hands and when to raise their arms. I did not.

Truly, I felt like a fish out of water – and I am a pastor. My lesson learned is this: No matter how hospitable we think we are; no matter how self-explanatory we think something is; no matter how visitor friendly we think we are – we can always to better. People who visit our church don’t know our rituals. They don’t know what to read or say or when to respond. We are moving into a time when people have no Christian memory – no past experience with the church to guide them.

Our hospitality must be ridiculous. It must consider ever moment of a guest’s experience with us – from the time they pull into the parking lot to the time they leave. I am very thankful for Pastor Adam, Luanne Mire, and their team of people who are even now working to continually improve our welcoming ministries at the U.

Oh, and thanks to the faithful saints of St. Joe’s. The authenticity of your worshiping body was refreshing to my soul. I give you my highest praise: I experienced the power and presence of God while I was among you.

PS: I did go to Sunday services at the Methodist church Sunday morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Ryan:

I like your blog. I attend UUMC, usually (read nearly always) attend the Sanctuary service, but I have always been impressed with your preaching when I've had the chance to hear it -- whether live or via podcast.

At any rate, two thoughts:
1) Although I disagree with some Catholic theology, I do agree with you that the ritualistic nature (if I'm understanding you correctly) of the Catholic Mass does in my mind seem to add an additional dimension to the entire worship experience.

2) I also agree about the need to make visitors feel welcome. As someone who has church-shopped on various occasions, and experienced both the welcoming heart and the "cold-shoulder," it is absolutely essential to do everything we can to make a visitor feel welcome.

When we first moved to San Antonio last summer (2006) my wife and I began searching for a new church. The second church we visited was UUMC. As soon as we walked in, a designated greeter met us and asked us our children's names and ages. He then checked where our kids should go to Sunday School, and proceeded to not only give us the room number but walk us there, so we knew where it was located. This is in my mind, ridiculous hospitality!

Needless to say, on the drive home I asked where we were going the next week and she replied that she didn't know where I would be going, but that she would be back at UUMC.

I look forward to reading your blog updates. Thanks.