October 3, 2007

times are a'changin


So, I made it over to Garden of the gods today and as inspiring as it was, I left a little disappointed. I remembered going there as a child and crawling all over the huge formations. Last time I was here, you could hike all over the park – getting up close and personal with the giant formations.

Things are very different today. They have paved the sidewalks and placed signs every 50 yards reminding you to stay on the path. Apparently back in 1994, they began a process of reclamation of the natural grasses and protecting the park. I understand the need and applaud their effort, but I couldn’t help but be disappointed. I was all geared up for a long hike punctuated by scrambling up exquisite red rock formations. Oh, well.

It was a great drive back over to Salida. I stopped at Walmart on my way out of town (I couldn’t find any other place!) and bought a bandana to hold my hair out of my face and 3 cds (coldplay, the fray, and passion worship). The sun was shining and it truly was a perfect day. I rolled all the windows down, opened the sunroof, turned the stereo all the way up, and enjoyed the 2.5 hour drive. It was truly spectacular.

No comments: