October 27, 2007

high gear

It has been such a hectic time. By nature I am such a frenetic person – a true workaholic who enjoys a fast paced environment – that I usually feel as though I am moving faster than the world around me and trying to pull my life along behind me. These days, just the opposite is true. I feel like my world is moving faster than I am and I am being drug along into the future.

A lot of this added pressure comes directly from the impending opening of our new facility. There is so much work to be done – so many decisions to be made. They arrive in interconnected waves. Even the ones that on the surface appear simple have a way of compounding through time.

On top of that, I have my ordination examinations looming and have one final push of work to complete for that process.

In the end, I feel as though I am probably short-changing everything just a little in order to keep pace with all my spinning plates. Worst of all, I know that I am doing a poor job of keeping up with friends and family (somehow they get the shortest end of the stick).

So, I did the best thing I know to do when I find myself in this place. Yesterday, I took the day off. All the way off. I didn’t even check email and refused to answer the phone for anything business related. It was really great to put everything in neutral and take a deep breath. I feel like I can now put it back into high gear and run the next leg of the race.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ryan Barnett!!!!!! I so love your blog! Most of all I love hearing your honest heart and passion! miss you!