November 1, 2007

giving thanks

The following was orginally written for and published under my"Inspiring Word" column in the November issue of our uzine, The Encourager. To view the whole magazine go to our website at www.uchurch.tv and click on "News & Calendar."

Last year during the Thanksgiving holiday my dad took a little notebook and passed it around. He started with the grandchildren, moved onto the children, and finally he and mom filled in their pages. We were all required to list the things for which we were thankful. I thought it was a little silly – until it was my turn.

I started with the obvious, paused, and then filled the page with my gratitude for all that God had done in my life. Big and small, it was all there in my heart. Acknowledgment of God’s provision and providence humbled me.

When I was done, I couldn’t help but sneak a peek at what the others in my family had written. I was moved by their obvious love for God and one another. I could see that taking some time to give thanks was an equally worthwhile endeavor for them.
This month, I want you to pause as you read this column. I want to invite you to grab a piece of paper, pick up a pen, and begin to make a list of everything about University for which you are thankful. Go ahead.

Seriously, stop reading and start writing. The column will continue when you are done. . .

This year as I reflect on God’s good gifts, I am overwhelmed by the number of blessings I could list. As always, I am thankful for the people of the church – the ones who are new this year and those who have been standing by my side for years. I thank God for the opportunities to share the Gospel he has given with our new unite service. I am grateful for Charles Anderson’s leadership and the exciting movement of God’s Spirit in the church.

Most of all, I am simply marvel that God has given me the opportunity to be a blessing. Have you ever considered that idea? God, in whom all glory and honor rests, has invited us to be partners with him in building his Kingdom. It is almost unfathomable to me that God would invite me to be his friend, his partner.

This is the good news of the Jesus’ Gospel. We are invited not only to serve his kingdom, we are invited to be co-heirs in building and administering it. When God first called his servant Abraham, he instructed him to be a blessing to all people. When he called Israel, it was to be a blessing to the nations. When he called the church, it was to bless sinners and saints alike.
It is remarkable that God has called flawed and broken people to be the instruments of his holy work. Yet, that is precisely the course he has chosen. You and I have been invited to stand shoulder to shoulder with Jesus Christ, the Son of God and Savior of Man. Together in ministry we are invited to share in his work, his suffering, and his glory. We are invited to be active participants in the redemptive work of God among his creation. We get to go where Jesus goes, feel what Jesus feels, and do what Jesus does. God has blessed us by allowing us to be a blessing to others.

By the way, I would love for you to share your list with me. Post it here on the comments section, email it to me, or drop it off at the church. I will post some of your thoughts on my blog throughout November!

1 comment:

RB said...

Thanks, UUMC, for:
- a foundation for our marriage, faith
- our friends
- opportunities to give
- opportunities for mission
- the people that make it happen throughout the week
- years of searching for a "home" are gone
- small groups and what they have provided (comfort, stability, teaching, learning)