June 16, 2008

Church of the Blessed Mango Trees

Sunday morning I was invited to preach at the Mango Tree Church. It was named that by my friend, Nathan who is the pastor of the church. It is actually a church plant of Nathan’s other church in Gikundo. As the head man, it was Nathan’s responsibility to start the new parish.

When I first visited there, Nathan showed me three mango trees that grew near one another and cast shade onto the ground. There was a small patch of bare dirt where, “The choir stood.” Before my sermon began, I told the congregation that I could tell they were doing a good job because last year, only a small patch of dirt showed through the grass where people were standing and dancing. Now, the whole hillside is stripped of grass because of the great number of people worship God there.

Nathan explained who I was and that I was the man he had visited in the U.S. He told them about all of you, my church and how you gave a collection for the people of the Mango Tree Church. They were so very excited. Later Nathan told me that his people were all very surprised because when he had told them about our church, they assumed that I must be an old bald man to have such a fine congregation!On your behalf, I received their thanks which included a song, a dance, and a great shout to the Lord! They were very encouraged – the mango trees have served them well, but it is time to put up a proper roof!

They will use the funds you gave them to build what is essentially a pavilion. They will put in a concrete floor under it. This will serve them until money can be raised to put up proper walls.

Nathan said, “our weekly collection is about 1,590 frw (which is $3 U.S.), so you can imagine how long it would have taken us to build the church if it wasn’t for your people.”

And what a church he is building. The congregation I addressed was about 100 people strong and 70 of them were children! We heard from three different choirs. The first were the pros. They had come over from the mother church. The next was a group of brand new Christians – they had just been baptized. The third choir was a newly formed youth choir – also of new Christians.

I only made one mistake (I think!) and that is I forgot my camera. I was so focused on the preaching I just didn’t think about it. It really is unfortunate, because I would have liked to have shown you pictures of the people you have partnered with in planting a new church! Perhaps some of you will just have to come over here for worship and see for yourselves!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan, thanks so much for taking the time to keep us up to date. It is a blessing. I'm trying to imagine a congregation that is 3/4s children. Hug them all! Hug Rev. Nathan, too!

God be with you,
Shauna

LSB said...

Pastor Ryan - I was thinking of you today and realized you must be in Rwanda by now. I am blessed to read of your adventures and God's faithfulness. When I think of a congregation filled with children, I am reminded that God calls each one of us to come to Him like a child. What a beautiful picture of that calling these chilren must be for you! I will continue to pray for you, the team and the Church of the Blessed Mango Tree.

Hugs to you, the team (and the kiddos!)

Lynn Sampson-Berzins