June 16, 2008

devastated

I woke up this morning at 1:30 a.m. I was really surprised because I had been sleeping really well – almost too well! Once up, I tossed and turned for about an hour and a half. My mind was heavy Van, Debbie, Mary, Walt, and Melendy. They were en route to us. I was just really troubled.

I thought it must just be my spirit being disturbed by the places we visited today. I fell into one of those very fitful sleeps around 3:00, I think. At 3:30 a.m. the phone rang. I sat up in bed and I was covered in sweat. It was my friend, Van calling from New York. Because of delays they had missed their connections to make it to us in Rwanda. (I said, “Well, that explains it” over the phone confusing Van, I think, but meaning why I was bathed in sweat and having trouble sleeping).

The best the airlines could do was get them here on Thursday night. We are scheduled to leave on Saturday. It just didn’t make any sense for them to travel Monday – Thursday, then be here a day and half and travel for two more days heading home. So, I sent them back to San Antonio. We will have to try for them again later in the year. I still need to talk this over with Shannon and Emily when they get up in the morning, but I am pretty sure I made the right call.

Needless to say, I am devastated. I just feel like crying. All the people coming are such good friends of mine. We have all been looking forward to this time together so much. Plus, the Williams were going to be recording a number of our projects here so that we could really tell the story of God’s work through the church to all of you at home.

Will you all please join me in prayer? Pray for those who are traveling with heavy hearts back to San Antonio tonight. Pray for us here in Rwanda. Pray that the Lord will work ultimate good from the mess the Enemy creates.

It’s now 4 a.m., all is not well, but the Lord promises that joy cometh in the morning, so I am off to bed again.

7 comments:

envision! Film and Video said...

God is good all the time. All the time God is good.

Van

Sara said...

Hi Ryan,
I have been seriously lurking your blog for weeks and weeks now. I haven't left a message before but felt led to, tonight.

First of all, Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow! He is in the midst of your mission and your journey.

Secondly, don't let the devil defeat you and don't let him discourage you from the trip at hand. You and the team are there for a reason, God went before you and follows you on your journey now.

All things work for the good of God..not some things but ALL things. Romans 8:28

Rock on and be encouraged. I look forward to hearing how God empowers you all to blow the message out of the water.

-Sara Gwathmey (serious blog lurker)

Anonymous said...

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

The great work before you now is to put aside your disappointment and listen to God's voice. You and the entire team are being lifted in so many prayers this day. Take comfort and continue on.

-Shauna

Anonymous said...

Ephesians 6:10-11 "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." May you, Shannon, and Emily put on your "full armor" that the work of you three in Rwanda will be multiplied by Godly math and will resonate throughout central Africa......always in our hearts and prayers - mom

LSB said...

Pastor Ryan -

Blessings to you, Shannon and Emily. You are all in my thoughts and prayers this day.

Hebrews 11 - "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancient's are commended for.... By faith Abel... By faith Enoch... By faith Noah... By faith Abraham..." - You know how this one goes sweet Pastor.

I am smiling at the sound of angels rejoicing in heaven as you, Shannon and Emily walk by faith on this journey. Things may not have gone "according to plan" thus far - that means that the three of you get to move forward, according to faith. I smile at what will be recorded on heavenly scrolls about this adventure of yours..... "By faith Ryan, Shannon and Emily... while in Rwanda...."

Oh, I anxiously await the word of your testimonies when you return!

Until then, God is with you - He will speak to you and guide you on your journey such that He will accomplish all things to the glory of Christ Jesus through each of you.

In Him,

Lynn Sampson-Berzins

Anonymous said...

Brother Ryan
My heart goes out to you and those who missed their flights. I know they are disappointed. Bless you bro and look forward to seeing you when you return.
Rusty

Anonymous said...

I cry tears for you this morning as I read your disappointment, and I am praying for your team and the one sent back home. Plenty of folks have left scripture for you, but here's one more:

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus...Amen.

Not just more, but immeasurably more than we ask or imagine...He is good!

Blessings and Peace!!