July 6, 2009

July 6, 5:48 pm

As I listen to the Word of God proclaimed, I am haunted by this verse: “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables.” No, we are not to Acts yet (Acts 6.2), but it is running through my mind.

The word of God is so powerful. I feel like I am being soaked in it – saturated. I can feel the authority of the Spirit rising inside of me as I am renewed. You cannot believe how hard it is for me to observe this simple instruction. As a pastor, I get more thanks for waiting tables than sitting, meditating on the Word of God. Frankly, I feel like I’ve accomplished more when I go through a day of marking things off my checklist.

Yet, as I am confined here in this place, as the Scriptures are pouring out over me, I am overcome with the sure and certain knowledge that faithfulness requires greater attention to the word and will of God. I must be engaged in a great work – refuse to become mired.

Waiting on the table is an important ministry – it is absolutely vital! But it’s not my ministry. If I wait on the table, who is attending the ministry of the word? Worse, I am robbing another of their opportunity to exercise their gifts for building the Kingdom of God.

Those early leaders of the church chose seven men who were full of the Spirit and wisdom to attend to the needs of the community. Because of it, “the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly.” I am painfully aware of my ability to shrink ministry to the size I can manage on my own strength.

To be faithful to God, I must learn to say no to men. Or better yet, turn responsibility for carrying out the ministry of the table to others. My job then, is to “give my attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.” It comes down to this, do I believe that prayer is more powerful than taking another meeting? Do I believe that giving study and attention to the word has a greater Kingdom impact than answering emails? If you check the words of my lips, then the answer to these questions is, YES! But if you looked on my calendar, or followed me around for a week, I’m not sure my life would agree.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

This will be my prayer for you, my brother. Theresa